I am not actively following Canadian politics, but recently Reddit swarms me with media/videos about Canada, with the kind of rhetoric I know from right winged people in Germany (AfD, CDU).

They are blaming Trudeau and immigration for everything that happens in Canada currently. Calling immigrants terrorists etc.

I always had to imagine in my head, that Canadians are friendly, open-minded people, but the media suggest otherwise.

So dear people, enlighten me with your opinion please!

• Muscle_Meteor
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

In terms of social values left. Even the last conservative prime minister was smart enough to keep his opinions to himself and not try to push evangelical policies, he knew he would lose.

In terms of economics… well the average person globally doesn’t know the difference between monatary policy, fiscal policy, and their own asshole. Currently Canadians are being promised a magical fix all solution with absolutely no details, but they sure are angry that things are expensive, so at the moment right.

• ZC3rr0r@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Well put. A lot of people also seem to think the government can magically make money appear out of nowhere and give them better services while taxing them less and somehow still balancing the budget.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

They could be forgiven for thinking that since fiat currency is magically made to appear out of nowhere. The government can create as much currency as it wants. The reason it doesn’t is because it devalues existing currency, and so it effectively serves as a tax on people who hoarde money. Boo hoo. My heart bleeds.