• Dathknight
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I still can hear this picture!

Luckily you could skip it, so I was able to play the rest of the game.

Later a gaming magazine had a guide with an optimal route, that helped me to finally beat it. (after hours of practice)

• Schmuppes@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Gtf outta here, I played the game and beat that mission way back then!

Edit: On my Celeron 300 with a Riva TNT!

• Un4@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

No patches in those days. Back then when you buy a game it’s in it’s final form.

• Schmuppes@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

There absolutely were patches for games back in the late 90’s; you could download them or get them off CDs in the magazines.

• XeroxCool@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

They could also just change the game they sold. I had an early print of Need for Speed Carbon for PS2. I couldn’t unlock most of the cop cars due to a bug, iirc. Later burns fixed it

• Un4@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Interesting! Back then I had a playstation and a pc. Never have i ever had a patch for any of the games i owned. The magazine mostly had demo versions of games, freeware or sometimes even a full version of a game. However never seen a path! Perhaps i was an ignorant kid not aware of such features.

• Schmuppes@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

In the magazines I bought, they had demos and maybe a crude review video. And when they had some spare space on the CD or DVD, they’d add a folder with patches.