I recently posted about finding time to game as a parent and the community has provided a bunch of good suggestions. Thank you! After reading all comments, I think it really boils down to accessibility of gaming for the occasional moments of free time that I do have in my busy schedule. The ability to pick something up easily, make some progress, pause it, and resume quickly at the next available window appears the best way to go. Many have suggested a Steam Deck or Switch (I own the latter) but I wanted to get some opinions on gaming laptops. My preference is to play on PC (I subscribe to Game Pass) so that’s why I brought up this topic. I believe a gaming laptop provides some form of mobility and plays most things but doesn’t have the instant resume that makes handhelds great. I feel both the Steam Deck and Switch would be limiting in what I can play. Has anyone tried the ROG Ally? What are your thoughts?

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Gaming laptops are really just portable PCs. If you’re playing on them on in the usual “Keyboard and Mouse” way then you need to put it on a table to make that work properly. Maybe you could do it on a sofa but it’s very quickly going to get uncomfortable.

Handhelds on the other hand are extremely portable and happily usable anywhere. They’re also a lot cheaper than a gaming PC! I’m a big fan of my Steam Deck and recommend it a lot, but I should admit I also have a Gaming PC which I use for multiplayer stuff with my friends