I want to buy a mobile phone that would be great for linux mobile (ubuntu touch or postmarket os), fairphone 4 would be almost ideal if it wasn’t so big (i’m currently using pixel 8 + GrapheneOS). What do you recommend for my desire to use a compact mobile for linux + a solid camera? Thanks for the answers.

• TheyCallMeHacked
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’ll correct by saying that it’s with mainline linux that those cameras don’t work. Ubuntu Touch uses libhybris to run Android drivers, meaning most supported phones’ cameras work there…

• chevy9294@monero.town
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Interesting, I didn’t know that. Probably because PostmarketOS is based on Alpine (no glibc).

• linmob@lemmy.mlM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

No, it’s just that when you use a mainline kernel, you’re just not reusing all the Android (often user-space) drivers that make cameras work on Android and due to that stuff, starting from drivers for the SoC camera interface to the camera sensor have to be re-implemented. Whether you are on glibc (e.g., on Debian/Mobian) or musl/Alpine does not really matter.

Also, Camera APIs and the whole “desktop Linux” camera stack (think of things like debayering, white-balance) is nowhere near as developed as what Android has (and that, IUC, Ubuntu Touch can reuse on Halium by plumbing things together).