Hey all, I’m British so I don’t really know the ins and outs of the US healthcare system. Apologies for asking what is probably a rather simple question.

So like most of you, I see many posts and gofundmes about people having astronomically high medical bills. Most recently, someone having a $27k bill even after his death.

However, I have an American friend who is quick to point out that apparently nobody actually pays those bills. They’re just some elaborate dance between insurance companies and hospitals. If you don’t have insurance, the cost is lower or removed entirely. Supposedly.

So I’m just asking… How accurate is that? Consider someone without insurance, a minor physical ailment, a neurodivergent mind and no interest in fighting off harassing people for the rest of their life.

How much would such a person expect to pay, out of their own pocket, for things like check ups, x rays, meds, counselling and so on?

• Kazumara
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Thanks for the info! For a comparison I’ll give you mine:

Switzerland has the worlds second most expensive healthcare system, also with private insurance providers. There are some differences to the US though. Having health insurance is mandatory and there are state contributions for people who couldn’t afford it otherwise. And we have a certain defined level of base insurance with defined coverage that the insurers all have to offer and that you can’t be denied for.

Anyway I pay $480/mo for mine, which has a few extras over the base, like sharing a room with only one instead of three people in a hospital stay. I haven’t used it much though, so I can’t tell you from experience what sort of co-pay I would be looking at, but I believe it’s capped. https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/versicherungen/krankenversicherung/krankenversicherung-versicherte-mit-wohnsitz-in-der-schweiz/praemien-kostenbeteiligung.html

This is while making $85,000/yr working as a Senior IT Engineer, and paying $2,700/mo for rent.

Oh shit, I thought IT people in the US made more than here in Switzerland?! Or is that only in specific areas of California?

I live on the outskirts of Zürich and rent for our 3 room flat is $3’200/mo. However, I started on about $100’000/yr as a Junior Network Engineer directly after completing my master’s degree in Computer Science in 2021.