“Reddit is publicly extending an olive branch to the moderator community that it largely enraged over recent weeks…But as you might expect, mods remain skeptical.”

• dust_accelerator
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

It’s starting to look like a pattern. An ugly, one I might add. Slowly making everything less inclusive, less accessible… Until it’s some radical right-wing brown swamp.

I mean, it’s “only” social media platforms, but pretty much the playbook - “oh that… that’s an accidental side effect… don’t worry!” until key institutions are undermined and then switch to full on fascist regime.

All not because of beliefs this would be best for humanity as a whole, but being in love with the idea of being the one who calls the shots. King of the hill made of feces.

The lack of vision for an enlightened role of humanity in the universe disgusts me.

Sorry for the rant, I might have gone from 0 to 100 pretty quick there, lol. Just pissed at a lot of these kinds of regressive developments lately.

• TheInsane42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Alas. this is the standard playbook for the whole society at the moment. Just see how fanatic (usual religious) minorities try to take over the countries, Israel, US, Africa, middle east and alas now they’re getting more active in Europe as well with Poland an Hungary as biggest issue at the moment. (no clue how it is in South America)

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Somehow I’m not surprised with the mess the Trump period brought. (but it was already a mess before that)

As long as there are groups that can get into power and think they know best and forces a lifestyle instead of being liberal and let the people decide by themselves, we’ll keep this mess.

• Ignacio@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Well, I’m surprised by that reaction. I didn’t expect that someone agreed with me on the fact that Florida was part of South America, between Argentina and Chile.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

??? Even we in Europe know it’s the p***s of the US. (so no wonder that that state’s government f**k the people over there)

• Ignacio@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                11 months ago

I know that.

I just meant about my first reply to you. Because I was (and I am) a bit tired of people referring to the US as America, when America is the whole continent and not a country, and I saw you spoke about South America, I was just thinking “well, if this dude wonders about the situation in South America, and some people refers to America as a country, I’ll just put Florida as part of South America so the illogical logic reverses to them”.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  11 months ago

Well, technically the America’s are 2 continents, each on their own tectonic plate. (Or I remembered that wrong, school was a while ago ;) )

The only people that refer to America as a country live in the USA and couldn’t locate it on the map when it was centered on it, even when their life would depend on it. Then again, there are loads of Dutch people that think The Netherlands is Holland (2 of the 12 provinces) or that leaving Amsterdam is traveling to another country.

I get the feeling that Idiocracy turns less into a documentary and more into scifi with a positive view of the future.