A man who was convicted of pointing a gun at Burger King drive-thru worker who wouldn’t accept drugs for payment and later shooting at other people elsewhere the same night has been sentenced to 143 years in prison.

Prosecutors who announced the sentence Thursday said the drive-thru incident was the beginning of a series of crimes Eugene Robertson carried out in the Denver suburb of Aurora on Oct. 17, 2022. No one was wounded.

In April, a jury found Robertson guilty of 17 crimes, including eight counts of attempted murder. The sentences for many of the crimes were stacked on top of each other, leading to a long sentence. Robertson had faced a maximum sentence of more than 400 years when he was sentenced Aug. 9.

The Sentinel Colorado in Aurora previously reported that a witness at the convenience store store told police there seemed to be “something off” about Robertson and that he was “talking about God” and carrying a Bible with a purple cover.

• Jessica
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

Oh my bad. I thought OP’s quotes were the whole article. It does say he shot at people later in the night. Either way he clearly needs mental help, not to rot in prison for life.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

Right. I don’t think he was really trying to shoot someone, or he would have shot someone. Reckless engagement is probably a more accurate charge than attempted murder.

• Delphia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        25 days ago

The article doesnt make any mention of their criminal record. If this is a first offence its heavy handed, if this is the 3rd time he has shot at people I care a whole lot less.

• Omgpwnies@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          25 days ago

If it’s his third time, then the system failed to give him the proper help at least twice as well.