I was trying to think of which games created certain mechanics that became popular and copied by future games in the industry.

The most famous one that comes to my mind is Assassin’s Creed, with the tower climbing for map information.

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

Third person view in an FPS (first person shooter) type of game was first seen in the first Lara Croft game, I think?

• sp3tr4l@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

If you are attempting to ask which game popularized 3d, third person shooters, then yes, the original Tomb Raider is probably the most early, widely popular game that popularized this.

• MagicShel@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

I think you need to be more specific than just “third person”. Third person view was in Pong, Pac-Man, Asteroids, Centipede, etc. It’s the default for most games.

First person was probably introduced with Battle Zone.

Which, I don’t mean to sound pedantic, I just literally don’t really know what you mean here.

• lorty@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Your examples are of bird’s eye view games, not third person.

• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Then you will need to extend that to the OP of this comment chain as they didn’t specify either what Gears of War is. I am going to edit my comment to clarify but I do feel you are too pendantic for asking this.

• MagicShel@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 days ago

Thank you. Sorry. Never played that game and didn’t know that was specific to FPS. I know some arcade shooter games had that mechanic, but not in the context of free-roaming FPS. I think you’re right about Tomb Raider.