So I shop around to get some bits and pieces for a good home made meal, and I notice some items say, a pack of vegan burgers, these are more expensive than regular burgers!

I’m not a vegan but I’m curious as to why these items are priced as such, it’s a bit of a pain for people who can only eat gluten free food as those items are priced high too. The bread we get for me grandpapa is pricey for what you get.

Is it different production methods that make it pricey? You’d think with healthier, easier to get ingredients would be cheaper than producing regular non vegan items.

• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

This is contrary to basic economic principles.

If a beef burger and vegan burger cost the same to make, but people will pay more for the vegan, that world attract more vegan producers to the market, and more competition would reduce the price.

• weker01@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Yup it is contrary to normal economic principles, read up on luxury goods and in particular veblen goods and how price finding works there.

In the end humans are not at all times rational. There is no homo economicus. Economics is as much math as it is a social study.

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

While higher prices cab make products more appealing, that is not the primary reason why vegan products are more expensive.

• Feyd@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

That is a very rudimentary understanding of the system that doesn’t always pan out in a particular time frame or due to external factors.

1. It takes time for that effect to occur
      2. It doesn’t take into account barriers to entry, of which there are many for food
      3. It doesn’t take into account that there are are actually a small number of companies that own the bulk of our food supply chain and it’s in their financial interest to keep prices high for things that are perceived as luxury
      • fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

It’s not rudimentary, it’s a complex system reduced to a few sentences.

1. Vegan patties have been around forever.

2. There aren’t significantly more barriers to entry for food products than other industries.

3. Yes vendors want high prices, but that applies to any product, not only vegan products.

The answer is, as everyone else has pointed out, economies of scale. There’s a larger market with more participants producing more beef burgers than there are vegan patties.

• Nollij@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 days ago

Economies of scale affects the costs to the manufacturer. Competition/demand affect the price to the consumer.

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            23 days ago

Correct. That’s precisely why producers of meat patties can still be profitable at a much lower price point.

• commie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

“basic economic principles” is handwaving. you’re storytelling, not making a scientific postulate