I just need to gush for a minute. I am about to shutdown my server in order to move it to the basement. This off the shelf $300 desktop running Pop!_OS is my self-hosting server that has dutifully done it’s job without a single complaint. It has been rebooted maybe three times since 2020 and it currently has an uptime of 840 days. That’s 840 days of not ever thinking about this thing. It self updates via Cron jobs and just…works.

I am afraid to open the box up though. Those dust bunnies must be huge.

• nfsm
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

This is the future we were promised, dumb machines doing work 24/7. I’d change it to Debian but you stick with whatever works best for you.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

I have moved on to LMDE for everything other than my laptop, but I don’t feel like rebuilding the thing. I just blew out the dust and in a few minutes it will be back up and running in the basement.

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

You can update and change repos.

But I hope you use kernel livepatching, because that uptime is scary. You missed like 50 kernel updates

• Jo Miran@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          23 days ago

I am pretty sure the kernel is up to date, but I am not 100% sure since I haven’t checked that the process didn’t fail at some point. This is a tertiary backup system, super low priority, hosting movies, music, and VeraCrypt drives internally behind multiple layers of network security and isolated in the DMZ where I keep stuff I want isolated from my network, like SmartTVs, IOT crap, and gaming consoles. But since I am working on it now, I will double check.

EDIT: 6.9.3, which is a little behind, but I’m ok with that.

• nfsm
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 days ago

The LTS kernel is still version 6.6, till 12/2026, so you’re up to date. I wouldn’t worry.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.mlOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              23 days ago

Pop_OS was updated regularly. The kernel version changed to the latest one once it booted up in the new location. It was probably live on 6.0.9 before the move since that was the last one I recorded.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                23 days ago

Oh 6.0.9 ! I thought 6.9. 6.0.x is extremely old

But as you said the machine is only with all your shady IOT devices that makes it kinda better I guess

• Jo Miran@lemmy.mlOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  23 days ago

It was 6.9.3 once I booted after the move. I assume it had been updated but waiting for a reboot to use the new kernel. Until I rebooted, it was probably still running on the 6.0.9 image.

If uptime and having the latest kernel ever becomes something I care about for this server, I might switch to Ubuntu Pro. It is free for personal use and it includes kernel livepatching. I can’t imagine why I would need it for this use case though.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    23 days ago

Livepatching is pretty cool.

But arent your services autostarting? Why not configure apt-automatic to do a reboot on kernel updates?

• nfsm
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Well, you’re already on a Debian based distro and not Ubuntu. Let it do it’s thing in the most boring way :D