• lennivelkant
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Guillotine aren’t a sign of good times. They’re a sign of times so bad that violence has become the only viable way of salvaging them in the eyes of the majority. They may be harbingers of good times, but they don’t indicate them.

• primrosepathspeedrun@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

semantics. you know what I was saying.

dead little girls in coal mines? there are dead little girls in coal mines instead of prices, or the normal dead people of all ages and genders on the streets I have to fucking walk past every day.

• lennivelkant
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

I don’t think I understand. When things are good, there are dead little girls in coal mines?

• lennivelkant
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            24 days ago

Ah, I’m unfortunately not familiar with that one. I only know the Guillotines from the French revolution, where they indicated the worst of times.

• primrosepathspeedrun@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              24 days ago

no, they were the end of the worst of times. the fact that guillotines were a massive improvement is an indicator of how fucking monstrous the centuries of white terror had been.

• lennivelkant
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                24 days ago

Ah, so it’s a matter of contrast? The guillotines are a sign of good times, relative to the even worse times before?