Hi all,

What do you use to wirelessly project your screen?

I have sunshine / moonlight set up and that works alright but I’m told there are simpler ways and I’m behind the times :p

Is this a thing in FOSS / Linux land? All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

EDIT: I use Graphene on a Pixel 8A

• eco_game
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    21 days ago

i use miracast where I can (my TV and Samsung phone support it natively), as it pretty much just works and is a decent protocol. Sadly every phone manufacturer that isn’t Samsung seems to have abandoned it right now, but it is still widely supported in TVs. On Linux, there is the app gnome-network-displays (yes it also works on KDE) to cast your screen over miracast.

Miracast is an actual local streaming protocol (closely related to WiFi Direct). For content streaming the only FOSS standard I am aware of is FCast, but sofar it only is implemented in the GrayJay Android app.

Edit: There is also Deskreen for casting a PC screen.

For casting mobile to PC there is also scrcpy.

This isn’t really casting, but I often find that an HDMI cable (often paired with a USB-C to HDMI dongle) is the simplest and most reliable way to display a phone screen on another monitor (as long as the phone supports DP altmode).

• Negligent_Embassy@links.hackliberty.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      21 days ago

Interesting, thank you for letting me know about that.

I wish KDE Connect was able to integrate this feature but I’m sure if it was easy it would already have been done

EDIT: Got GrayJay Fcast set up, pretty cool! Thanks.

As far as the HDMI cord I use that all the time and young people ask “is that aircast?” lol