Is it possible to add GOG games to the steam library then add them to your deck? Do i need to load gog somehow tomuse them?

• soulsource
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

This. There is very little need for third-party tools, as long as you don’t want to install a whole lot of games. After all, the installation process only happens once per game, and also without tools it doesn’t take very long.

As a step-by-step guide:

• Download the games from the GoG website. You can find them if you hover the site’s header bar, where your user-name is displayed. There’s a “Games” button which brings you to the list of games, where you can download the installers directly. The downloads are listed under “Download Offline Backup Game Installers”.
    • Unpack the game installer.
      • Innoextract is your friend here. No need to run the installer, just unpack the files. Works with both, Windows and Linux games.
      • Alternatively, if it’s a native Linux game, you can just run the installer directly on the Steam Deck.
        • For Windows games you can theoretically also use Proton directly on the deck. However, the process is annoying, so I won’t go into details.
      • Alternatively, you can run the installer on your desktop PC and copy the files to the Deck via sftp.
    • Add the game to Steam Library. This can be done in Desktop Mode. There’s a menu entry in Steam’s “Games” menu for that.
      • In the File Browser, you need to disable the file filter, as it (iirc) only shows .desktop files by default. You’ll want the game’s executable though.
    • If it’s a Windows game, go to the game’s properties page in Steam, and force a specific compatibility tool for it, namely some recent version of Proton.
      • For native Linux games this step is usually not needed, but some very old games need to set the Steam Linux Runtime here.
      • For DOS games, check out my blog post about DOSBox on the Deck.
        • I don’t know how well it works on the Deck (never tried it, as I don’t feel it’s necessary), but there would also be boxtron.
    • Last, but not least, use sgdboop to set some artwork.
    • rotopenguin@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Go to Desktop Mode, run Plasma Discover, get the Heroic flatpak, run Heroic, log into GoG there, install games.

Heroic is pretty damn good at doing the rest. It’ll install the Linux or Windows version of your games, it’ll add them to Steam, it’ll run them. Heroic will even give Steam some coverart for your games. (Many are missing the logo, tho. DeckyLoader +SteamGridDB plugin fixes that.)

• Fubarberry@sopuli.xyzM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

Innoextract sounds pretty good, I’ll definitely keep that in mind for non-steam games in the future.