I’ve been messing around with circuits my entire life but this design was time sensitive and I’ve never done my own PCB designs before, so I hired someone to put this together. After getting some test boards, when I plug them in the charger chip gets very hot and smells like burning…

Circuit is just a simple li-ion usb charger and a switch. I’ve gone through the datasheet for the bq25302 more times than I can count and I’m missing something obvious here. Using it just for delivering power seems to work fine, the problem is only when charging.

I do see R6 + R7 off TS don’t have the recommended 10k values, but I don’t feel like that would cause what I’m seeing. This is being connected to a 21700 lipo.

Someone mind lending me their eyes please?

bq25302 datasheet - https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq25302.pdf

• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

There should be a capacitor between REGN and ground and BAT and ground.

• Shadow@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

Oooh, thanks.

Stupid schematic question for a second, when looking at this:

If the “REGN” above the LED there is just referring to the REGN pin right below, why doesn’t the line just go back down to the pin? Is this just a style thing, or does it mean something functionally different?

• cmnybo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

It means the same thing. I would have just drawn a line since they are right next to each other.