• funtrek
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

The problem with c++ is that it allows people to do whatever they want. Turns out: people are dumb. Rust solved that problem. Nothing more, nothing less.

• _____@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

I heavily disagree. C++ has a lot of problems but it’s flexibility is not one of them.

Imo the biggest problem with C++ is that there are a dozens ways of doing the same thing. The std lib is not general and fast enough for everyone. Therefore it’s not even “standard” .

I have seen many conferences of a proposed “cpp2” like syntax that breaks abi but imo it’s the best way forward.

• FizzyOrange@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

Yeah but I have written a lot of Rust and I have yet to use a single unsafe block.

Saying “but… unsafe!” is like saying Python isn’t memory safe because it has ctypes, or Go isn’t memory safe because of its unsafe package.

• funtrek
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

Sure, but you have to explicitly enable this feature. In c++ you can use the oldest shit from twenty years ago and your compiler happily does its job. All my c++ books are full of “you shouldn’t use xy as it is deemed unsafe now, but of course you still can”.

• Dark Arc@social.packetloss.gg
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 days ago

If a “safe C++” proposal truly proposes a safe subset, then yes your C++ code would have to opt-in to doing unsafe things. For the purposes of this discussion of a safe subset … the point is moot.