ROME, July 23 (Reuters) - Italy’s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, who will visit the White House on Thursday, said that U.S. President Joe Biden had never challenged her on the issue of Rome being part of the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).

Meloni leads the only major Western country to have joined China’s BRI scheme, which envisions rebuilding the old Silk Road to connect China with Asia, Europe and beyond with large infrastructure spending.

• OptimusPrimeDownfall
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s all a way for the CCP to gain power over other countries. “Oh, you’re using OUR infrastructure, you need to do X thing that’s bad for you or we will turn it off/fuck you over with it”.

The CCP cannot be trusted.

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Too bad the tankies here refuse to hear a single bad word about the CCP, with some even making this sound like ‘Trumptard fear-mongering’.

In reality, the BRI has shaped up to be little more than debt-trap diplomacy, powered by bribes to influential politicians (borderline autocrats) who’re willing to sell their countries for a dime.

• Usermane@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I actually believe that those countries decided to take Chinese loans after becoming weary of IMF ones. The latter come with a lot of strings attached that force said countr8toalign with wester ideals and economic doctrines such as privatization of industries and services as well as social reforms. It is actually not too far off from how colonisers would push the colonies to become ‘civilized’. The west as always thinks it knows better and must push the ‘uneducated’ countries in the right direction. The Chinese offered an alternative where the loan recipients are allowed to develop the way they see fits them best. They are not looking to mold new countries in their image, just create economically strong trading partners that may see them more positively that they see the west. In the future that may allow them to contrast the western countries in geopolitical strength. TL;DR: China is actually hoping that these countries develop into strong economies that are aligned with China rather than with the USA.

• BartsBigBugBag@lemmy.tf
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I follow African local politics rather closely and have many friends on the continent, and I’ve yet to see any Africans say that Chinese loans carry such requirements. However, nearly every African country has commented on the exploitative nature of WorldBank and IMF loans, which often come with policy requirements, such as privatization of public infrastructure and restriction on wages.

I did see an airport that was supposedly taken over in Uganda by China, but there’s been no corroborating evidence, despite almost two years having passed since the story was broken, and in fact, the president of Uganda came out and said that at the time the story broke, Uganda hadn’t even left the grace period on their loan, much less defaulted on it.

• OptimusPrimeDownfall
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Why would they spell out that sort of requirement? You are assuming they are operating in the open, in good faith.

They have a history of doing this sort of thing.

I don’t think the IMF or anybody should be screwing over borrowers but at least it’s in the open where you and I, the concerned public, can do something.

• BartsBigBugBag@lemmy.tf
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Why would Africans spell out that requirement? Because they’re the ones who are taking the loans, and so have the best understanding of the terms of said loans. I didn’t ask why China isn’t talking about this, I said that I’ve yet to see any African people or politicians, despite being heavily invested in African politics, and having many friends on the continent, say anything negative about the Chinese loans. Can you show me some Africans taking about this, or do you only have US media and state dept links?

Also, what do you mean the concerned public can do something about the IMF? What effective methods do you know of to prevent IMF exploitative loans that can be done by the regular public?

• Dojan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

There’s no such thing as a perfect government, and there’s certainly things the CCP does that I’m not a fan of. That said, China’s overall rising standard of living, and incredible infrastructure that’s all popped up in the past couple of decades has me really impressed. Attempting an international infrastructure project like this is super interesting, to me at least.

• lemmyshmemmy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah. China suddenly owns a bunch of African ports and other infrastructure because they overloaded countries with debt.