Hotel Mario: A Fan-Made Upgrade of One of the Worst Mario Games

Hotel Mario is known for its simplistic mechanics and infamous cutscenes. Originally released in 1994 for the Philips CD-i, it was often listed among Nintendo’s least successful titles due to its awkward gameplay and poorly received FMV sequences.

Background on Hotel Mario

• Original Reception: The game initially received mixed reviews. Its soundtrack and novel concept of closing doors to defeat enemies were praised, while controls, art style, and cutscenes faced criticism.
  • Cult Following: Despite negative feedback, the game has gained a cult following over the years, known for its “so bad it’s good” reputation.

Fan-Made Upgrade

Developers have launched a fan-made project to address these issues by enhancing graphics and refining controls. This initiative seeks to create an improved version of Hotel Mario that retains its quirky charm while offering a more polished experience.

Are you in the “so bad it’s good” camp when it comes to Hotel Mario?

• Rikj000
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

Do you hear that?

That’s the sound of DMCAtendo’s lawyers marching out to ruin another fan project.

• wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

The CD-i games are one of the few places where Nintendo tends to turn a blind eye

The dev of Arzette (a CD-i like, I guess you could say), made a remake of one of the Zelda CD-i games first and didn’t ger in any trouble.