• Chrobin
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s visibly made in word. That’s enough to be rushed.

• febra@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Exactly. Most papers I’ve seen out there use LaTeX. This is clearly Microsoft Word.

• soEZ@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Most engenee fields use word…many don’t even accept latex…judging quality of work bases on how a paper looks is shallow and irresponsible.

• 4ce@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

In physics, however, using Latex is absolutely the norm, and on the arxiv it’s also absolutely the norm. That they aren’t using it shows at the very least that they’re out of touch with academic practice. I mean, if their extraordinary claim is true it would be one of the most significant discoveries of the century and pretty much a guaranteed Nobel prize. Therefore you might think they would put at least some amount of effort into presenting their results, such as producing nice looking plots, and, well, using Latex like a normal working physicist. The fact that they don’t doesn’t mean that they’re wrong, but it doesn’t exactly increase their credibility either.

PS: I also just noticed that one of their equations (p. 9 in 2307.12008) literally contains the expression “F(00l)”. Again, maybe they’re just oblivious and didn’t realize that could look like they’re calling us fools, but the extraordinary claims together with the rather unorthodox and low-effort presentation make me very skeptical.

• soEZ@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

This is fair enough…but still seems odd to judge paper solely based on text editor choice…judging paper based on clear errors in presented information is fair game.

• Sheltac@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Hi. I hold 3 degrees in engineering. 100% of what you said is wrong.

Latex is the norm in any engineering publication I’ve ever been involved with, be it as author, reviewer, or editor. The ones that do take word do so reluctantly and only in a way they can readily convert to latex later.

Judging a quality of a word based on how a paper looks is perfectly valid. I’m disinclined to trust research by people not willing to put in the minuscule effort of typesetting a paper. What else did they cut corners on?

• Chrobin
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

And it definitely looks it. That is, shitty.