I’m note a programmer. I Don’t Understand Codes. How do I Know If An Open Source Application is not Stealing My Data Or Passwords? Google play store is scanning apps. It says it blocks spyware. Unfortunately, we know that it was not very successful. So, can we trust open source software? Can’t someone integrate their own virus just because the code is open?

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Yeah. I haven’t looked it up, but a huge part seems to be manual labor. They have a good look at it when it gets included into the f-droid repository. The app then gets re-packaged to meet their standards and compiled from source. During this process tracking libraries and other (proprietary) components get stripped.

They have an automated build server. I’m not sure if that does any additional tests or just checks if it can build the app. But this also prepares the updates.

I doubt there are automated antivirus scans involved. Usually only windows users do that.

And you have a community with many other users who use the same build of an app. They’ll file bugreports and maybe notice if an app stops working or starts consuming huge amounts of data and battery. Those users also tend to be more tech-savy than playstore users.