Hello everyone New to Linux, new to self hosting, and struggling a bit but making progress.

I have two questions: 1 Is there a YouTube channel or a website with tutorials and explanations for the dummies like me? Something eli5 with easy words to start with and understand the basics.

2 I see a lot about nginx and reverse proxy and not sure I need it. I want to run a couple apps on my local network to be able to access it on any computer inside the house and, for now, nowhere else. Do I need nginx? What about port security? I’m worried my lack of understanding regarding ports would make my home network vulnerable. But since for now I only use 192.168.1 , i’d say I’m safe from intruders?

I acknowledge it’s all surely basic but I’m not sure where to find a comprehensive source of learning instead of googling bits and pieces.

Thanks

• Mark
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

For self hosting plex, sonarr and radarr etc… I recommend the trash guides. https://trash-guides.info/ When you don’t want your self hosted apps available from outside your network you don’t need nginx. And for the port security, as long as you are not port forwarding there is no security issue. Keep in mind that when you host things on your local network that other people on your home network could be able to access your apps. Which is not a big deal when living with family or on yourself.