I was on the beta testing team and have been using Beeper for a little over two years now.

The convenience of having an application to house all of your chat networks is amazing.

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I agree, but this provides a path towards that. It is Matrix underneath so if we get a proportion of people using Beeper they it becomes easy to transition to using Matrix to talk to those people.

• Matricaria@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I don’t think it does. You can’t delete any of the other apps and no one actually uses Matrix after all.

It might even do the opposite, where apps like WhatsApp can argue that they are now interoperable so they don’t have to change anything.

• Geronimo Wenja@agora.nop.chat
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Luckily, the DMA has a heap of requirements around what their messaging interoperability will have do. For one thing, it will enforce the providers to not downgrade any encryption along the way, so FB etc will have to handle messages without them being decrypted first. There are some great videos that the matrix foundation put on their YouTube channel of talks that go over much of this.