• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Its a really bad idea to link directly to such sites, especially ones as good as this. You’ll just accelerate their demise.

• Arotrios@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Possibly true, but what you’re theoretically looking at isn’t hosting pirated content. It’s a link aggregator that finds an available file to stream to you from servers that already have the full file, which may or may not have been assembled from a legitimate source or torrent. Legally, this gives them a layer of plausible deniability - disclaimer IANAL.

So if this one goes down, as it probably will, someone else will just build another streaming link aggregator that does the exact same thing - there’s more than few out there. This is just basically round 238,592,394,321 of internet whack-a-mole.

• Raltoid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

It’s a link aggregator that finds an available file to stream to you from servers that already have the full file, which may or may not have been assembled from a legitimate source or torrent.

That’s literally the argument they use for torrents as well. They don’t host any material, just point to it. And they are still being taken down left and right for breaking some law or another in regards to that.

• Arotrios@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Y’all are beginning to crack me up. You know each time you drop a reply, you’re increasing the exposure of this particular theoretical site right? I didn’t say they had perfect plausible deniability, just an extra layer of it, and whatever action taken against it won’t stop the servers they’re aggregating from, which are accessed by a lot of other apps that do exactly the same thing. Nuking this theoretical aggregator is like plucking a dandelion and thinking you’re done with weeding the lawn - it’s really just not worth the time unless they go after the servers themselves.

• Vex_Detrause@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Thank you Mr. Wizard. Is there a wiki, community or magazine for these knowledge?

• redcalcium@lemmy.institute
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Fortunately, it’s really hard to make lemmy comments shows up in search engine right now. Even if I search GP’s username and part of their comment, I could not get his comment to appear in google search. On reddit the comments usually searchable on google in mere hours.