The majority of Linux distributions out there seem to be over-engineering their method of distribution. They are not giving us a new distribution of Linux. They are giving us an existing distribution of Linux, but with a different distribution of non-system software (like a different desktop environment or configuration of it)

In many cases, turning an installation of the base distribution used to the one they’re shipping is a matter of installing certain packages and setting some configurations. Why should the user be required to reinstall their whole OS for this?

It would be way more practical if those distributions are available as packages, preferably managed by the package manager itself. This is much easier for both the user and the developer.

Some developers may find it less satisfying to do this, and I don’t mean to force my opinion on anyone, but only suggesting that there’s an easier way to do this. Distributions should be changing things that aren’t easily doable without a system reinstall.

• dino
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I am not sure if you are onto something or you don’t understand the proposition. e.g. how does KDE or any other DE developer maintain their packages on debian? Do they not? And its up to debian developers to decide what version of KDE they use? If thats the case then I see your point, which would make it very hard for the so-called “kubuntu” package maintainer, because they have to rely on what debian maintainers do.

uses their

• jsveiga@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yes, that’s what I mean. For example suppose you had this mixed solution (core comes from debian repository, “kubuntu personality” from kubuntu repository).

Then debian maintainers release updates for their packages - which they tested and validated in systems that use only other debian packages.

Next time you update your system, it may happen that the new version of debian components are no longer compatible with the kubuntu components.

Debian won’t wait for or check if every distro who uses their “core” has tested debian changes and released compatible new packages of their own.

Probably most debian based distros simply repackage many base debian components with minimum or no changes, but they know those releases are compatible with their own “customized” packages, and can have control of their dependencies.

Edit: I didn’t address one of your questions directly: No, developers and maintainers of a linux system component (as kde, and even the kernel) not necessarily are the maintainers of a specific distro packages.

For example, kernel decelopers and maintainers release a new kernel release independent of any distro. It’s up to the distro maintainers to test and package this, then make it available in their repo.