• MadMaurice
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Intel says the rebranding “better aligns to customer requests” to simplify its processor names

But it doesn’t simplify the processor name!? Instead of i5, we now have to say “core 5” or “intel core 5”.

• mici01@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Even worse … we have to specify between “Core 5” and “Core Ultra 5”

• Fatalchemist@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

“I’d like to order the newest chip you got. The Beyond Plus Ultra Core Ultra 5+ Supreme Deluxe. No, I will not accept the Beyond Plus Ultra Core Ultra 5 Supreme Deluxe. That is last gen garbage from last week.”

• MadMaurice
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Probably. The “core” name is too close to the old “Core2Duo/Quad” names anyway.

• toadmode@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

They’re probably not too worried about people getting them mixed up with 15 year old CPUs

• beefcat@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

They don’t seem to understand where the customer confusion comes from. A lot of people out there don’t really realize that a Core i7 could mean very different things because that name has been slapped on new CPUs for…15 years. They delineate product generations as part of a model number (2600k, 6700k, etc). There is so much ambiguity when someone just says their computer has a Core i7, non tech-savvy folk aren’t going to remember the string of numbers that comes after that.

AMD copied them, and that probably leads to similar confusion.

Apple seems to be the smart one in the room when it comes to CPU naming. The generation of the product is right there in the first part of it’s name: M1, M2, etc. The performance class is suffixed (no suffix, Pro, Max, Ultra).

• MadMaurice
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Well officially yes, but I don’t know anyone that consistently called it “Intel Core i5” instead of just “i5”. And I don’t see that happening with just “5”.

• dan@upvote.au
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

“Which processor do you have?”
          “5”

said nobody ever

• MadMaurice
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

That’s exactly the point I’m trying to make. “i5” as an answer would’ve made sense, but “5” doesn’t

• dan@upvote.au
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

I get it - I was just emphasizing it :P

Was there really a problem with the naming? I don’t see why they’d change it given they’ve spent a long time building the brand.

• MadMaurice
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Ha okay. I wasn’t quite sure whether you’re emphasizing or did misunderstood me.

Honestly I have no idea what the issue was with the old naming scheme. Didn’t they just recently introduce an i9? Why not continue with an i11 etc instead of this Ultra nonsense.