• Fiestorra
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

230$ for a battery!! They have lost their minds lol.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Well, still better than 1000$ for a new iPhone because you can’t replace it yourself, Apple won’t do it for almost the price of a new phone and they lock 3rd party batteries with serialization :) and you can buy 3rd party batteries for a fraction of the cost. What matters is that 1) you can replace the battery - no glued, soldered bs and 2) they actually sell them.

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s not cemented into the chassis lol, Apple replaces it for $99 or you can just buy the part from ‘em and replace it yourself.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yes the batteries are cemented into the chassis :D The last 3 times I tried to use the pull tabs they added they simply broke before the battery was out.

• Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I mean, that sucks for you but pull-tabs are considered ‘repair-friendly’ by pretty much everyone in the Right to Repair movement.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

I believe they might work for a bit of time, but with usage and eat they probably go bad and end up breaking. If you see on YouTube Rossman and others they’ve similar experiences.

• Fiestorra
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah I agree, it’s better to be able to change them than not.

Either way that price point still hurts for a battery (when an original standard enterprise laptop battery is usually less than half the price)