• nilloc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

This would be a wonder technology if proven to be true, but my understanding is most of the rest of the world is highly skeptical at the moment. It’s like having your cake and eating it too.

I’d say it’s more like simulating the best tasting cake ever in a computer, then telling everyone else to go bake it.

Hopefully someone can figure out a process to create the material in real life (then hopefully it’s durable and eventually economical to produce).

• aebrer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Afaik they did build it in real life, and the paper in fact is about the process for manufacturing it, not just about the properties or simulations.

People have replicated the simulations so far, but are still working on replicating the manufacturing process, as it has low yeild and some variability apparently

• Maximilious@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The problem with that paper as I understand it is that the writer was recently outed for making many false claims in his research.

• aebrer@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Interesting I hadn’t seen that. Do you have a source I could check out? There’s six authors so it’d help figure out what you’re referring to