The California governor has been trying to get his Florida Republican counterpart to engage. On Wednesday, he got it.

• Hazzia
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

DeSantis certainly started off as a strong contender, but he drank his own koolaid and commited the Cardinal Sin of actually attempting to make good on his promises which, surprise surprise, turned out not to have very good results.

We hate wokeness! Therefore, I’m going to get into a war with the woke single most powerful corporation in my home state, which has far more monetary and legal weight than all my donors combined!

We hate the LGBTQ+! Therefore, I am going to implement agressive anti-LGBTQ+ laws that will make massive swaths of people feel unsafe in Florida and essentially annhialate the tourism industry that fuels most of the state’s GDP!

We hate immigrants! Therefore, I am going to push through policies that essentially force all immigrants out of Florida and decimate any local businesses or industries that were relliant on the cheap labor!!

For as much harm as Trump did, for a lot of real policy-making, he was either: mostly playing politics with the shit he “was trying to do”, was contained by other politicians enough not to actually implement them, or was too incompetent to actually make his plans a functional reality. Actually kinda funny to think how much of a threat for dems DeSantis seemed just a couple of years ago as the “more calculating and insidious” version of Trump.