for some background, I’m on latest stable Kubuntu. able to use Microsoft Office via a KVM+Winapps setup currently. it mostly works but there are a few kinks like the display frame getting fucked up when going full screen or windowed, drag and drop being hit or miss and whatnot…

i did read up on Office 2019 being installable using Wine, but wasn’t able to find any methods to activate it. MAS isn’t really a thing on wine since we don’t have Powershell I believe. any ideas?

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

100% can confirm. It always takes me ages to find what i need in the ribbon interface. Especially the things that aren’t visible all the time. First time I was asked to print something, I really struggled with that. And it used to be File->Print. And I have no interest in finding out if they made it easier or worse to do things like conditional formatting or alternating row colors in tables.

Regarding the issues with formatting: It’s Microsoft’s fault. They’re doing this deliberately to get rid of competition. And they’ll ensure it stays that way in the future.

There is one exception, however: You need to install the correct fonts. If you don’t have the specified font available, a document will look differently and things might get misplaced, because your characters might now be wider or narrower.