For me its honestly a ton of my work software (digital forensics), shit is too niche to be replaced by good FOSS options. Cellebrite, Magnet Axiom, etc. Autopsy is great and free and has a linux version but it simply cannot get the same level of data without a pretty nutty level of custom code.

And the biggest side effect of this is FUCKING WINDOWS. God I would replace this nightmare OS in a heartbeat if the aforementioned work software would make linux compatible versions. We have legitimately wasted 10k hours dealing with windows bullshit that would not be a problem in linux. Though im sure linux would take a different 10k for its own problems.

What about you guys? Doesn’t have to be work related, thats just the thorn in my side right now.

• Aopen
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Paradox of Windows 10 MS will soon end support and my cpu is “too old” for update to win11 so Ill be forced by Microsoft to use linux

Also Google Play Services, because my phone didnt allow me to flash MicroG

• Victoria@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

About the Cpu being “too old”, did you launch the update app in windows 10, or did you create a USB stick? I just installed Windows 11 on my first gen Ryzen using a USB, even though the Windows 10 updater told me it’s too old

• Auster@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

On that matter, if you haven’t dug on the topic yet and if I may suggest, look for Linux systems (“distros”) with either the Xfce or Wayland desktop environments, since they’re some of the lightest around (Xfce being the most stable of the two, but Wayland seems pretty promising already).

• Aopen
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I know

I have deleted all google’s dogshit “system” apps and replaced ones I need with fdroid alternatives

The thing is I had to keep play services so some unavoidable apps still work:

• Gmaps - google has monopoly
        • YT - find video>share>newpipe>enjoy
        • Play Store - give back aurora 😭
        • nyakojiru@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yeah I think one can take care of privacy at a reasonable level without being like Sauls Goodman brother . The issue if we try unnecessary to disappear completely, you have to spend an enormous effort and time and it becomes in some kind of obsession. I personally take basic core measures like giving myself free to data cross of the different well known algorithms from companies and fraudulent sources. I don’t complete desiapoear but I’m like a puzzle for them .

• Lemongrab@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Aurora can be used with a gooe account, still better then nothing imo

For gmaps replacement, I use either organic maps or magic earth (non foss but privacy respecting). For gmaps search results I use GmapsWV (sandboxed gmaps web view)