I started daily driving Linux since I left school this year and used it before but mainly windows because school wanted us to run Word, Teams, etc. Today I wanted to play games and haven’t set up my device for gaming and didn’t want to download the game twice (good internet). Like a good PC user I wanted to do my updates. It really sucks on windows. I had three windows updates to make, one crashed. It rebooted my device 4 times. Also I needed to update other drivers and applications. Now I really appreciate package managers more than ever before.

• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Yes! Absolutely. I can not count the amount of times where a windows update absolutely crushed my schedule.

• Sliotar@mastodon.ie
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

@Haui @RoboRay

I can count the number of times where a Windows update crushed my schedule - 0.

I’ve used Windows since Windows 3.0. I don’t need to badmouth Linux to make me feel good about my choice of OS (though I can - I’ve enough experience with half a dozen different varieties of Linux to be more than happy to just use my computers, rather than spend my time managing them).

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Well, good for you. As I previously mentioned, I made a different experience and dozens of my clients as well.

And to comment on Linux: It is a community driven, open source product which will never be as polished as a proprietary, for profit product with thousands of sw engineers working on it full time.

Even if windows was a unparalleled experience, which it is not, it would still be privacy invasive and much less innovative as linux is.

Have a good one.

• RoboRay@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Wow, “it never happened to me so it shouldn’t matter when it happens to you” is the biggest shit-take I’ve seen today.

Bye!

• Sliotar@mastodon.ie
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

@RoboRay @Freez @MasterCelebrator @Haui

You look like something of an expert on shit-takes.

I didn’t say it shouldn’t matter when it happens to you.

But it’s hard to take seriously the comments of someone who clearly thinks they know more than they actually do. Someone who wants to use cutting edge hardware, but who isn’t smart enough to manage the drivers.