• 1rre
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I mean in this case it’s a secular group attacking a religious group though?

• BlameThePeacock@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Burning a piece of paper that you rightfully own is not “attacking a religious group” and should never be construed as such. Objects are not people.

Any sort of law that prevents you from doing something just because a specific religion doesn’t want you to do it is inherently forcing their religion upon you. That should never be allowed.

• vd1n@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Yeah but usually it’s just a dumb “eDgEy” thing to do. It’s the same as maga psychos burning books. Fuck all that shit.

• BlameThePeacock@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

If someone wants to buy a book and then burn it I simply do not care what their reasoning is, It’s their book they can do whatever they damn well please with it as long as they aren’t literally using it to hit someone.

I see a reason to ban burning ALL books in public, because it’s a safety hazard, but banning the burning of one book because they don’t want you to is a very slippery slope to enforcing other rules the religion wants. Two men(or women) kissing offends some Christians, should that action also be banned? FUCK that.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I mean, when the maga types burn books, I roll my eyes and chuckle that they still paid the author for a copy. I remember video one maga book burning where a gay(?) man throw a bible in and drove off when the chuds realized what had happened.

Let them burn books. You can’t destroy ideas that way in the 21st century.