I searched for ages for a replacement of something like torrentz, and the rarbg drop made me start the search again. I ended up trying the included search in qbittorrent, and I’m very happy with the results, it scans many public trackers, and I have always found what I wanted.

To be clear, qbittorrent is a desktop app for linux/windows/mac, that has a panel where you can search for torrents:

https://www.qbittorrent.org/

• shadeless
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

No it’s a IP Blocklist, it doesn’t filter out content but tries to blocks peers like law firms and studios who try to take you to court for legal action.

It can’t replace a vpn but it’s no effort at all to use it (in Transmission) so why not

• damipereira@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Interesting, I have not used anything like this, but according to this post there’s this setting:

In the client, Options -> Connection and at bottom: “IP Filtering”.

And you can use the ip list that is inside the repo you linked.

• shadeless
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah but qbittorrent uses a different format than transmission, the Blocklist from the repo doesn’t work, tried it already.

• damipereira@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

There’s a file in the repo which is just a list of ips, each in a new line. Is it the same content? Maybe that works?

• shadeless
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Checked out the repo and the code to generate the list. “combined_2.txt” is the raw list before it gets gzipped and can be used in qbittorrent (once you change the extension).

So thanks for pointing that out :)