With the recent password sharing crackdown, I decided to ditch my Netflix subscription and try piracy. What I miss about Netflix is scrolling through content and finding something to watch. With piracy I need to know exactly what I am looking for.

So I am wondering if it’s possible to have a Netflix like GUI but powered by piracy? And as this is the pirate world, it shows shows and movies not just from Netflix but also from the other streaming services? And finally it is available on TVs ( Samsung tizen in my case). Something like this would be the best case scenario. Wondering if someone has a similar setup?

• chimmy_chongaOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Is it possible to have such a setup without the torrents but rather using a streaming website? Also does are there prepackaged setups with all these ready to use for example a raspberry pi os built with everything. I just hook it up with my NAS for storage and am good to go?

• merthyr1831@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Dietpi is pretty good to get up and going in a day or so. Loads of videos on youtube for setting up various services too :)

Open media vault might be an option over dietpi but I’ve never used it myself. Again, lots of youtube documentation:)

If you want to stream torrents, you can use stremio and torrentio which let you stream the content of a torrent instead of download, but depending on the media you watch youll find it difficult to get enough seeders to download it fast enough to stream.

The benefit of running the downloads over streaming is that a poorly seeded torrent won’t ruin my viewing experience since by the time I view it’s stored locally.

• Diffuser5593@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Using docker containers is a lot easier to manage than installing all the packages directly to the OS. Using docker compose simplifies this even more. You have a simple docker-compose.yml file and it’s usable to any other Linux environment! Just have to be aware of where your drive mount mappings are.