First of all, let’s try to avoid American-bashing, and stay respectful to everyone.

I’ll start: for me it’s the tipping culture. Especially nowadays, with the recent post on !mildlyinfuriating@lemmy.world with the 40% tip, it just seems so weird to me to have to pay extra just so that menu prices can stay low.

• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

American bashing as in bashing the people.

Tipping system is not the people, based on how many people criticise it in that thread.

• Oneser@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Don’t get me wrong, the tipping system (among numerous other aspects) is a joke for customers, But it has massive benefits if you end up in the right job, in the right restaurant.

Absolutely no idea how many end up in the same situation, maybe the minority, but all the servers I met travelling (especially girls) would make many times more than anyone working the same job in Europe for less hours.

Plus, we have tipping in most European cities I’ve visited… Most waiters I know are on minimum wage and only survive via tips. Is it different for you?

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I have never tipped in Germany, France, Spain, Poland, Italy, Austria , Hungary, Portugal. I guess our experiences are different

• Oneser@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I’ve worked in 3 and lived in 1 (for 10+ years) of those countries as service and have always been tipped… Maybe it is just a local thing