• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t care about hardware acceleration for a game launcher, but I sure wish they would make it use the native system widgets and theme. They need to reduce the bloat by about 95% as well.

• pizzaboi@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My biggest worry around Linux gaming right now, even with all the progress we’ve seen, is that Steam is basically becoming Linux gaming, and it is, after all, proprietary. I don’t love our ability to play games moving heavily into the hands of one, ultimately pretty greedy, private company. Sadly companies like that really want control, and that will always include the bloat they deem “necessary.”

• Mereo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Unfortunately, I don’t think we have a choice. In this capitalist society, money is key to get things moving forward.

Griffais says the company is also directly paying more than 100 open-source developers to work on the Proton compatibility layer, the Mesa graphics driver, and Vulkan, among other tasks like Steam for Linux and Chromebooks. https://www.theverge.com/23499215/valve-steam-deck-interview-late-2022

If it weren’t for Valve, Linux gaming would not be at this advanced stage.

• pizzaboi@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

For sure, and I’m stoked about it! Just nervous what things will look like in 5-10 years. Also, thanks for the link, I actually didn’t know they were paying open-source devs. That’s pretty cool and sounds better than the typical embrace, extend, extinguish methods.

• shmanio@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

And notifications! I’ve been waiting for them since forever, I really dislike how Steam is the only program I use that does its own thing with notifications, they always appear on top (sometimes with broken animations) and don’t respect the do-not-disturb setting.

• Something Burger 🍔@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Native UI? That’s not Gamer™️ enough. To be taken seriously, you need flashy UIs with broken scrolling, useless animations, unresponsive buttons, and inconsistent widgets.