• Rakn
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

But they aren’t forming take aways from it. They literally used that material to build this system. I also cannot just go around and take arbitrary data from anywhere and use it to build my own program. There are licenses attached to it and I have to be mindful of who’s work I can use to build my system and who’s I can’t use without explicit permission.

Building this system isn’t looking at other folks material and forming take aways from it. It’s literally using that material as input for building the system.

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Yes they are.

And yes, you absolutely can use entirely New York Times articles as research material to write your own article based on conclusions from them. You can’t outright copy paste their articles, but you can freely use information learned from their articles however the hell you want.

It’s the exact same thing. “AI” looks at their articles, integrates information, and does not retain the actual article. That has no similarity in any way to copyright infringement.

• Rakn
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Well. When I copy and paste source code into my program and compile it it also doesn’t retain the actual code. It’s still not allowed.

If I on the other hand read source code, remember and reapply it in a sort of similar way later on then that’s totally fine. But that’s not what OpenAI did there. There wasn’t a human involved that read the articles and then used that knowledge to adjust the LLM.

There question i would have is where is the line there? Does that mean that as soon as there is some automated process that uses the data it’s fine?

E.g. could I have a script that reads all NYT articles, extracts interesting information and provides them in a different format to users?

• SkepticElliptic@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yes, you can rewrite something in your own words and as it isn’t copied verbatim, then it isn’t infringement. You can’t copyright the idea of something.