• emeralddawn45
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Except the billionaires are the ones lobbying for cuts to education, buying up all the housing, lobbying against increasing minimum wage keeping people desperate, buying up all the media and turning it into propaganda, are responsible for dumping chemicals that impact growth and development in our water system, etc. Etc. Every failing in our society has billionaires behind it. Yes people are responsible for their actions, but just like you would blame Kim Jong Un for the beliefs of one of his brainwashed citizens rather than blame them, you should also be blaming billionaires and oil execs for people ‘rolling coal to piss off the libs’. They’ve been just as thoroughly brainwashed and propagandised, and just as intentionally.

• Pontishmonti@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

No, I wouldn’t solely blame Kim Jong Un if a soldier from NK kills a member of my family. The ultimate goal of a totalitarian regime is to convince people that they are powerless, that they need a leader to guide them. This takes away all agency and responsibility (where it matters).

Don’t fall into the same trap. Everyone is an individual, everyone can and should learn. Everyone is ultimately responsible for their life (excluding situations where people are physically constrained by an abuser).

Blaming the “billionaires” is a fruitless endeavor. Do you think if we get rid of billionaires we will automatically live in a just society? There will always be people with more power, billionaires or not.

Worldwide, I am in the 1%. You are most likely too. For a lower class family in Pakistan you are a billionaire.

• Pontishmonti@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

The highest data point referenced in the article you link to is Monaco with $12.4M. Not sure where you are getting the $30M number.

Anyway, as I said, globally you and I most likely are in the 1%. Not in the US, a very wealthy country.

Edit: here is an interesting data point for you: Kenya is listed last on that graph with just $20K. Do you know how wealthy Kenya is overall? It’s at the 59th place globally. Out of 173 countries.

So yes, you and the majority of people posturing in these comments are the 1% globally. Enjoy this realization, fellow onepercenter.