It is probably due to a number of people stopping using their alts after some instance hopping.

Also a few people who came to see how it was, and weren’t attracted enough to become regular visitors.

Curious to see at which number we’ll stabilize.

Next peak will probably happen after either major features release (e.g. exhaustive mod tools allowing reluctant communities to move from Reddit) or the next Reddit fuck up (e.g. removing old.reddit)

Stats on each server: https://lemmy.fediverse.observer/list

• @BlazeOP
    link
    379 months ago

That’s a personal opinion, but I would also be happy to see some groups spread on different communities to decide together on one community and make it grow together.

Browsing /all and seeing still another book or gaming community first post always makes me question if that post would not be better used in an established community.

And I know this will happen naturally overtime, I guess sometimes I would just like things to happen a bit faster and on a organized way.

• Hot Saucerman
      link
      fedilink
      English
      259 months ago

I personally don’t mind having multiple communities on different servers because some of these servers go down… a lot.

Makes sense to have “backups” sort of littered throughout the Fediverse, imho. I like seeing what different groups have to say about the subjects, too. Like, a thread will be wildly different on lemmy.world and beehaw.org, because I’m fairly sure beehaw is still defederated with lemmy.world, meaning I’ll see very different groups of people on each instance’s community.

• Kichae
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        9 months ago

It would be nice if servers could be tuned to prioritize locally hosted communities over remote ones. There’s a real opportunity for each community on the same topic to have distinct flavours and cultures, but so long as they all appear to be the same damn thing and appear with the same frequency in the content stream, it’s never going to happen. It’s not like people really look at the remote server domain.

It’s really nice that the Local feed exists, but when people just bulk subscribe to 8 different communities with the same name, stick to their subscription list, and then treat them all as the same place, that just kills a lot of potential for heterogeneity.

• ShittyKopper [they/them]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          9 months ago

It’s really nice that the Local feed exists, but when people just bulk subscribe to 8 different communities with the same name, stick to their subscription list, and then treat them all as the same place, that just kills a lot of potential for heterogeneity.

That’s what people are used to from Reddit. They’re used to having one giant subreddit about one topic. That’s why everyone’s centralized themselves on lemmy.world or kbin.social. That’s why one of the most requested features is the ability to make “multireddits” (or otherwise combining all different communities into one)

This is a culture problem to solve, technical solutions can only do so much to help.

• James Ryland Miller
            link
            fedilink
            29 months ago

@ShittyKopper why is a multi community feature an issue? I want to see what more than one fed server says on a topic and maybe have some cross list merging to increase efficiency.

• ShittyKopper [they/them]
              link
              fedilink
              English
              69 months ago

If you are explicitly aware that different instances specialize in different concerns I can absolutely see the use for a feature like that, but most people want a feature of that sort just so they can “paper over” federation and pretend to have one giant community with one giant moderation policy / culture / priorities.

And that is before getting to the absolutely horrible idea of automatically generating multi-communities by merging communities with the exact same name regardless of their instance.