With the new computer and the newer Microsoft Windows updates they have really jam packed their OS with bloat and spyware. That being said I have no idea what I’m doing with Linux, need help with where to start.? What are some general tips? I understand there’s a lot of prebuilt Linux distributions or something what are some first timer friendly ones? Really any help is appreciated because the biggest barrier to entry is the perceived difficulty of actually doing it.

• smpl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

First thing you do is get yourself a USB stick for booting, I know others suggest virtual machines for testing, but in my opinion you really want to run the distribution on real hardware and since you’re going to install the system anyway you might just get used to the booting process. The boot process has been complicated a bit by UEFI and that’s why I won’t recommend using minor distros to begin with, because you’ll want something that just boots and later installs nicely on a secureboot enabled system. The major distros have bootloaders and kernels signed and ready for secure boot systems.

It’s a simple as:

• Go grab Rufus for writing the .iso files to a USB stick. You can also use any other tool that allow you to write the .iso in raw form to the USB stick.
    • Download fx. Linux Mint (pick a mirror from the list)
    • Run Rufus and select your USB device, then open the .iso file you’ve just downloaded
    • Click start and in the popup dialog choose to write as a raw DD image.
    • When done, reboot and choose to boot from the USB stick in your BIOS¹ menu.
    • You’ll now be running Linux on your PC from a USB stick.

1: How to enter a menu where you can select the device to boot is up to your motherboard manufacturer, so consult the manual. Usually you can press Escape on boot or one of the F keys.

• niisyth@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I couldn’t get Linux Mint to work with my laptop’s secureboot. I’ve had luck with Fedora and Debian. In case you trip at mint same as me.

• smpl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Which version was that? I’ve just tested the most recent version (21.2) with QEMU and it works with secure boot.

• niisyth@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Every documentation would say it was supported but no ball. Tried Fedora first and worked smooth as butter. Then RHEL decided to be tools so on Debian now.

• CaptainJack42
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yep, had a similar experience with anything Ubuntu based, especially on Acer laptops. Can easily be fixed by just adding grubx64.efi to the trusted secure boot files in the bios though