Please be creative! Will there be more communities? Will we refer to each other based on the instances we belong to? Will there be beefs between instances? Will there be doomed romances of two peoples meeting from different places of the fediverse?

• Blaze
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

A lot of instances would have average Facebook quality posts.

A few more demanding instances would emerge.

It would be nice to be able to access your local/neighborhood instance instead of the Facebook group

• Otter@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

That’s what I’m looking forward to most. I used Reddit for my local stuff (Vancouver/Canada), but still used FB for marketplace and local buy&sell things. Replacing all of that would be nice.

A while ago it was worse, where some organizations only had Facebook groups, or you could only buy a ticket/item through Facebook. That has mostly changed… to other proprietary platforms.

• blue_berry@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

It would be nice to be able to access your local/neighborhood instance instead of the Facebook group

You mean local going into the direction of the metaverse-idea? That would be pretty neat (I mean metaverse without VR/AR)

• Blaze
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, I was thinking about a city Lemmy instance, with communities for neighborhoods

• blue_berry@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I thought in the direction of location-based technology like Pokemon Go. Maybe this goes in the same direction? Could maybe be a basis for it. That’s also what the idea of the metaverse to me: if you get rid of the VR stuff its an infrastructure for location-based services/technology.