For those who have pre-ordered it is already here, the rest have to wait a little longer. Starfield is finally here! Have you bought it, why or why not? If you’ve already played it, what do you think of it? We are very curious!

Discuss all things Starfield below!

• martenh
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’ve never understood this argument, most game engines are based on 20+ year old technology and have been updated throughout the years. Can the creation engine be improved upon? Definitely yes, but the engine’s age has almost nothing to do with it.

• snooggums@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Their point is that the engine doesn’t show signs of being improved upon during that time and is still stuck feeling like a 20 year old engine.

• tal@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

If you mean just the Creation Engine, that was 2011.

If you trace it back to Gamebryo, then Morrowind was 20 years ago, but I don’t think that one can say that even Skyrim looks much like Morrowind.

• CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Skyrim literally had some of the same exact problems that Morrowind had.

Personally I want them to keep the creation engine, if only for the stellar mod support. But let’s not kid ourselves, it desperately needs an overhaul.

• tal@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

What specific functionality is it that you want?

I listed one feature that I’d like to have (dynamic generation of polygons in curved surfaces), which I do not consider to be a very important limitation in another comment.

But if you strongly feel that the engine imposes constraints, then I’m curious what particular functionality it is that you’re after.

EDIT: Another: I don’t think that the game can generate billboards for player-built structures (so you can see the structures you’ve built in Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 many cells away). I don’t think that that’s actually a fundamental engine limitation – you could probably do it with the existing engine, just that the game doesn’t do it today. Instead, stuff like that is generated via offline map-generation tools. But again, it’s not really a huge deal in either of the above Fallout games.

• CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

There’s no specific functionality (except maybe ladders lol) it’s more just the engine as a whole. The fact that certain bugs can be found in all of their games from Morrowind to Fallout 4 is unacceptable imo.

And the fact that someone managed to literally put the world of Fallout 4 into Skyrim, and have it just work seamlessly, really speaks volumes.

I actually wrote an explanation for someone else a while ago, so I’ll put it here if you’re curious:

The problem isn’t the engine itself, it’s that Bethesda hasn’t given it the attention it needs.

Unreal Engine 5, for example, is built from the original Unreal Engine. But there has been so much work put into it that it’s nearly impossible to tell. Meanwhile, the creation engine literally has some of the same issues that the Gambryo engine had back during Morrowind.

To Bethesda’s credit, this isn’t entirely their fault. There’s a reason that proprietary engines have been dying out in favor of engines like Unreal, and that’s because maintaining and improving game engines is incredibly time consuming and expensive. And unless you’re directly profiting off of your engine, like Epic does, you don’t have a massive incentive to endlessly polish it. Doing so is time you could be spending working on your next game, which you do directly profit off of.

Personally, I want Bethesda to keep using the Creation Engine, or whatever they turn it into next, because of its incredible mod support. However, it’s nowhere near as polished or advanced as other engines, and understandably probably never will be. There’s really no easy solution imo.

• Narte@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Old or not it’s clear it needs a fundamental reworking if the same complaints persist across literal decades.

• Kaldo@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah, they can just append a number to it like unreal does and call it a new engine but that’s not what you actually want. It’s not a matter of a “new engine”, it’s them not investing enough into the existing one to make it feel more modern. I know some things like physics and animations are part of the “bethesda charm” but it stopped being charming after skyrim :P

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It also is new, it used the creation engine 2.

It would be like arguing that UE5 isn’t new just because it’s an upgraded UE4.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

UE5 doesn’t still have UE2 limitations. Gamebryo still won’t let me climb ladders. It’s clear that UE has been upgraded extensively, while Gamebryo has not.

• dylanTheDeveloper@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The one thing Unreal still has bug wise is the fact I can’t place hundreds of actors in a blueprints viewport because it lags like Satan but if I run code that spawns the same amount attached to said actor or drag the same quantity into the level itself it works without issue.

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Every engine has its own different limitations.

Not everyone cares about climbing ladders so it may not be something they feel is worth the effort to add to their engine.

To say it hasn’t been updated extensively is frankly insulting and is also fundamentally wrong.

• tal@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

One thing I did want in Fallout 4 that I don’t believe it presently does is dynamic generation of polygons in curves.

The game has environments with kinda curvy surfaces, but aside from the dynamic level of detail models, the engine can’t go throw spare horsepower at generating more polygons to make smoother curves. I think that that’s a good match with long-lived PC games, because people playing it years later on more-powerful hardware can burn their extra cycles on making things pretty.

It’s not vital or anything, just think that if there’s one game where it’d be neat, it’d be Bethesda-type games.