Please don’t flame me too bad, I understand that although privacy and libre software are important to many in the Linux community, my opinions may be outside the scope of consideration for some and I respect that.

Personally, conscientious consumerism and privacy are some of the primary reasons I use Linux. I prefer community>private business>corporate when I am choosing products and services.

-System76

About 8 years ago I purchased a laptop from System76, the customer service was incredible and the machine exceeded my expectations in build quality and performance.

Recently I’ve been in the market for a smaller machine, like a Thinkpad X1, StarBook 14 or System76 Lemur.

Last week, when I visited the System76 website they used Plausible’s open source analytics on the home page (which is a great alternative to Google’s proprietary hardware fingerprinting algorithm), but once I added the laptop to my cart to checkout, I noticed the third-party trackers, apis.google and ajax.googleapis load on the webpage. Google’s reCAPTCHA was also required to complete the purchase. Hell, even Discord has switched to hCaptcha at this point citing their laughable “Gamer Privacy First” policy.

IMHO, I find it hypocritical that System76 does so much great work disabling Intel’s IME and contributing to coreboot, but chooses to embed proprietary tracking software on their website when open source alternatives are readily available.

• Reaching out to System 76

After completing 14 reCAPTCHA’s I was finally able to get a dialogue with Stetson at System 76. He said that “System 76 takes user data privacy and security extremely seriously, but they would continue to use Google services.” His recommended solution was placing the order over the phone if I wasn’t comfortable having third-party tracking during checkout.

This is not a solution for me because I don’t want to do business with a company that monetizes user data for profit. In my experience, companies that monetize data (Alphabet, Meta, etc…) offer web services cheaper than competitors that don’t, in exchange for access to user data. So, if you’re getting a commercial service cheaper from a company that sells your user’s data, you’re also profiting from the sale by paying a lower premium for those services.

Personally, I do not think you’re taking user privacy “extremely” seriously if you’re running third party trackers and choosing reCAPTCHA (not a privacy respecting service) over hCaptcha on your website.

I really like System 76 and I want to support them with my next purchase, but presently I feel like they are saying one thing and doing another and choosing privacy respecting libre software some of the time when it suits their marketing, but proprietary anti-consumer tracking services when it’s more profitable.

• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I wasn’t very impressed with their customer service. They wouldn’t sell me a new battery when mine died. Now I’m stuck with an otherwise perfectly good laptop that now has to be plugged in all the time.

• cmnybo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m rather tempted to get a Framework 16, although I’m still waiting for more information about it to be released.
        I just wish they would come out with a different keyboard. I don’t like the small arrow keys and the lack of dedicated home and end keys.

• cmnybo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I tried 2 years ago and they said the batteries for it were not available anymore.

• Michael Murphy (S76)@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Not sure how that would be the fault of customer service. There were a lot of component shortages during the pandemic. Suppliers often discontinued components in the middle of production because they couldn’t source the chips required. Batteries also require chips to control their charging thresholds and voltages.