Admittedly, I don’t know much about Brexit, but from what I have been exposed to, it seems like a decisively economical and political impairment that made travel and business with the rest of Europe more difficult and costly. Since it is so highly criticized as a terrible move, why doesn’t the UK just rejoin the EU?

• 1rre
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’d disagree - it hurts both the EU and the withdrawing nation to have a nation withdraw, so saying “if you withdraw you will end up coming back, but on terms more beneficial to us” is a good move for the EU to further decay eurosceptic movements around Europe. Letting places rejoin on the same terms would encourage eurosceptics as they’d say “we can always rejoin on the same terms”

• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Why would we let the UK join on the same terms when the terms aren’t conducive to the current aims of the union AND HAVE NOT BEEN SO FOR DECADES?

The UK just doesn’t fit in the EU. They were barely a match for the EC. If they find a Time Machine, they are free to join the 1990 EC under the same terms as they had before. They are not free to join the 2023 EU under those same terms because it’s a different organization that does different things.

Yes the UK is a large powerful nation. But if it doesn’t share the aims of the club, why should we let it in?

And everyone in Britain knows this. They have been banging the “political union vs economic union” for decades. You can see it in this very thread. Well, the EU it’s a political union. You join it now, you become part of a political union.

Or you don’t, and define a different relationship, like Norway or Switzerland or Canada.

• 1rre
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

It depends on the news you read. If you look at the polls, Scotland isn’t in favour of independence and NI has never been in favour of joining the Republic.

If you’re reading news that says the UK is about to fall apart I could point you in the direction of some equally wrong news saying that Italy, Poland etc. are about to leave the EU