link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I like to do my storywriting a bit differently, though. I had better results guiding it a bit more. Have a look at the following output. The process is as follows: I give it an instruction and let it generate the answer. Then I append the instruction for the next step underneath. During each step I obviously let it regenerate replies until I like the result and also generously edit things to my likings before resuming things.

The approach has several steps. I let it write a synopsis that I like. Let it come up with interesting main characters, the story arc, maybe a scenario. I split the actual writing into parts/acts/chapters. Doing it this way seems to generate better results than just instructing it to write something. Doing that results in a very basic arc of suspense (if at all) and random pacing of the story and characters enter and exit the stage at random. YMMV.

Remember, you can always let the LLM help you. Let it come up with 10 interesting titles for a book. Tell it to “Come up with some deep questions regarding …” or challenging issues to face your main character with, that’ll advance the story.

You can also give it extra instructions if you don’t like the results. For example I sometimes write “Write chapter 1 … of the story. Introduce the main character and set the atmosphere for the story”. You’ll have to do lots of trial and error. One thing: It’ll pick up on the style of writing, the pacing and so on. So it’ll get easier once you get past the first few paragraphs.

The following is only an example. The way I word things isn’t necessarily the best choice. Also feel free to tell it to write a short story (these often result in several pages being generated) or a novel. Or a 5000 word story. You can word it like a school assignment or tell it to write in the style of Tolkien. (Regarding the 5000 words: LLMs can’t count. It’ll only give it a rough idea of something long or short. Don’t expect it to do maths or give you something a precise length. But that is a frequent problem. Just make sure it roughly knows what you expect it to do.)

### Instruction:
    Write a character card for private investigator cat. She is a female, anthropomorphic cat who recently moved to a small european village.

### Response:
    Name: Private Investigator Cat
    Species: Anthropomorphic Cat
    Personality: Curious, observant, independent, and slightly aloof. Despite being new to the village, she maintains a professional demeanor in her work as a private investigator. She's quick-witted and resourceful when solving cases but can also be stubborn at times. Her feline nature sometimes shows through in her curiosity about small details and her tendency to groom herself compulsively during intense moments.
    Appearance: A sleek black cat with striking green eyes, she stands at around 5'4" tall on her hind legs. Her tail swishes confidently behind her as she walks. She dresses professionally in a fitted suit jacket, slacks, and heels that accentuate her feline grace. A pair of cat-eye glasses perches on her nose, adding an air of intelligence to her appearance.
    Background: Originally from a big city, Private Investigator Cat decided to move to this small European village for a change of pace and to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. She has a knack for solving mysteries and enjoys the slower pace of the village, which allows her to focus on her work without distractions. However, her unique appearance often raises eyebrows among the locals, making it challenging for her to blend in completely.
    Skills: Excellent observation skills, sharp intellect, proficient in martial arts, fluent in multiple languages including French and German.
    Case Files: Recently, she was hired by a local farmer to investigate strange occurrences on his property - livestock disappearing without a trace. Using her keen senses and knowledge of animal behavior, she discovered that a group of thieves were responsible for the thefts. Another case involved tracking down a missing heirloom necklace for a wealthy family in town. Her success rate is high, but some villagers still view her with suspicion due to her unconventional methods and appearance.

### Instruction:
    Imagine a summary for a childrens book called "Detective Cat and the Case of the Stolen Necklace".

### Response:
    Detective Cat, a clever and curious anthropomorphic feline detective, arrives in a quaint European village determined to solve mysteries. When a valuable family heirloom disappears, she springs into action using her sharp observation skills and feline agility to track down clues. With the help of new friends in the village, she uncovers a daring jewel thief's plan and retrieves the stolen treasure, proving that even in a place where everyone knows each other, crime doesn't pay. Will Detective Cat be able to solve more mysteries and earn the trust of the villagers? Find out in this exciting adventure!

### Instruction:
    Write the table of contents for this children's book.

### Response:
    Table of Contents:
    1. Introduction to Detective Cat
    2. The Mysterious Disappearance of the Heirloom Necklace
    3. Gathering Clues and Making Connections
    4. Following the Thief's Trail
    5. A Daring Rescue Mission
    6. Unmasking the Culprit
    7. The Aftermath and New Beginnings

### Instruction:
    Write chapter 1 of the story.

### Response:
    Chapter 1: Introduction to Detective Cat
    In a small European village nestled between rolling hills and picturesque vineyards, there lived an unusual character named Private Investigator Cat. She was not your typical resident; she stood tall at 5'4" on her hind legs and had striking green eyes that matched her sleek black fur. Despite being new to the area, she decided to set up shop as a private investigator after moving from the big city. The locals found her fascinating, but they also wondered what kind of trouble someone like her might bring to their peaceful community.
    One day, Madame Dupont, a wealthy woman in town, approached Detective Cat with a peculiar request. Her family's priceless necklace had gone missing, and she wanted it back. The necklace held great sentimental value and was passed down through generations. It was made of precious gems and gold, making it irresistible to any thief. Detective Cat took on the case, eager to prove herself to the villagers. As she began her investigation, she knew that solving this mystery would be no easy feat.

[...]

(Generated with MythoMax-L2 13b (Q4_K_M), KoboldCPP on Linux. Settings are in the screenshot on the comment before. CLI arguments were in my case:

python3 koboldcpp.py --threads 2 --unbantokens --contextsize 8192 --ropeconfig 1.0 32000 --port 5001 --smartcontext --stream models/mythomax-l2-13b.Q4_K_M.gguf

Instructions are my words, everything after the ### Response: to the next instruction is what the LLM came up with. I haven’t edited the output to move the story in any direction in this case. And I often just use the ‘Story Mode’, write all of the prompt myself and edit the text when doing things like this. You can set up Instruct Mode if you like.

I’m not an expert. There may be better ways to do it.