Unity bosses sold stock days before development fees announcement::Unity executives sold thousands of shares in the weeks leading up to last night’s hugely controversial announcement it …

• mrsgreenpotato
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Installed Godot yesterday and it’s starting to grow on me, I like it. Looking forward to a huge movement of studios over to Godot, which will hopefully speed up the development of Godot through further support. Is there any reliable source of data about which game engines are popular at the moment? I want to see that sweet sweet decline in Unity user base over to Godot.

• Fisch@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I really love Godot, it’s great. I actually switched to it before I even knew what open source was simply because it’s way nicer to use.

• mrsgreenpotato
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

What types of games do you develop? I just started gamedev as a hobbyist earlier this year, so I’m by no means an expert in the field. I’m not into 2D games, I very much prefer 3D. What scares me is that I don’t see that many well made 3D games in Godot out there. It’s mostly 2D. Nonetheless, the engine seems to be capable of doing about the same of what Unity offers. I hope I’ll be able to soon reach the same level of proficiency in Godot and support the growth of 3D community.

• Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Now I am confused what a game engine even does? I thought it was a type of rendering software, shouldn’t all of them do 3D?

• Afiefh@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

There is a lot more to a game engine than just graphics, although that’s an important piece of the puzzle.

Input, sound, physics, networking, collision detection, path finding, scripting…etc are all important parts that are handled by the engine.

• Fisch@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Godot 4 has brought a lot of improvements to 3D, it’s definitely a good engine for 3D games now. I also prefer 3D btw.

• mrsgreenpotato
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Amazing, we need more competition on the market. It’s never good to let big corporations run a monopoly.