Hi I’m relatively new to Linux. There’s talk about updating, say from Fedora 37 to 38.

Is this something that needs to happen manually? If I solely update through the updater software, I’m not getting the whole “38”?

I understand that, of course, I won’t see updates on the installer or I won’t use a new supported partition type unless I install it again.

Apart from that, what’s missing? Some software won’t be updated? The kernel?

Thank you all!

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

You can update your version of Fedora through the updater software as well but it’s a very clear separate process that is initiated manually.

Distro version updates bring major updates to key packages - the one you’d notice most would be to Gnome, the desktop environment. There will be other things too that get only bugfix and security updates during the life of that version, and then after a while that version will lose support and you won’t get any updates at all (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/releases/lifecycle/).

Updating is very safe and reliable. I’ve had my Fedora install at work for 3 years, updating periodically and it’s working extremely well.

• cryball@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

To OP: this is a much clearer & better explanation for what I was trying to say.