• ruination
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

On a more serious note, though, while I do 100% that the “Thin Blue Line” is pure idiocy, I don’t think that actually going out of your way to harass them (even if it is warranted) is in any way effective in convincing them otherwise and having them see reason. Same reasoning as with why many young boys these days fall down the alt-right rabbit hole and become a Tater Tot.

• BeardedSingleMalt@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

There is a high chance that someone shoving that thing-blue-line bullshit probably own a gun and are desperately waiting for an excuse to shoot someone for even the most minute reason. And they had said “FAFO” 3 times already that day

• Tankiedesantski [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

A counter example is Richard Spencer, the Nazi, getting punched in public twice and then saying in an interview that he’s afraid to go out in public. He faded from the limelight soon thereafter.

• ruination
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Okay, that is pretty effective, but you would also swoop down to the same low as them. The police are known for unreasonable and excessive brutality, doing that would make you at the same level they are.

EDIT: You have convinced me and bought to my attention points that I didn’t consider because I might have been too idealistic. Thank you for correcting me.

• Holzkohlen@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

You also think beating up fascists is “a bad way to make them see reason”? It’s entirely not the point. You beat up fascists to make them be afraid of openly being a fascist.

• ruination
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Fair enough, I was being too idealistic. I just wish we can have them see reason instead, but if we can’t, making them shut up and not spread their idiocy would perhaps make for the next best thing.

• jaybone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Lol what’s a tater tot?

And by stealing their gas you are probably just reinforcing their stereotypes on crime and what the police response should be.

• ruination
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

A Tater Tot is a mindless follower of some very punchable asshole called Andrew Tate. Also in regards to your second point, while that is true, they will and already do have that stupid stereotype ingrained in their racist minds anyways. Might as well take advantage of it.