• ruination
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

To be honest, I only use it for fun. Unless you enjoy tinkering like I do, or you have really low RAM, there’s no reason to use it over glibc. I’m aware that Madaidan also mentioned that it is more secure, but I’m not too knowledgeable on that so I can’t really comment.

• ctr1@fl0w.cc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Ah gotcha, just asking because I’ve never used it before. Good to know that Gentoo supports hardening it

• ruination
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Gentoo lets you do basically whatever you want. The whole idea of it is that you make all the decisions in your system, as opposed to how most distros impose their developers’ choices.

• ruination
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Really fasttracked my Linux learning experience too. If you’re starting out Linux and are predisposed to masochism like I am, using Gentoo as your first distro really catalysed my understanding of Linux (at the cost of a week’s worth of crying and self-loathing lmao).

• ctr1@fl0w.cc
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Totally, props on taking it on as your first distro! Haha, yeah a week of pain sounds about right. My last Gentoo setup took an entire month (off and on), but I was doing something crazy (Qubes-like, every application in its own Gentoo VM, strict SELinux on host and guests)… ended up ditching that because I got comfortable enough with SELinux to write stronger policies for everything important, which is good enough for me.

I had the benefit of using other distros before trying Gentoo, so my first attempt at it wasn’t so bad (but still took two full days). It’s definitely taught me way more than any other distro, including Arch (although Arch was a very good stepping stone). I don’t think I could go back to anything else at this point

• ruination
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

What a coincidence, I’m trying to learn SELinux too! Any tips?

• ctr1@fl0w.cc
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

Awesome! Here are a few things that come to mind:

Make sure you have some aliases/functions for common operations:

• audit2allow -a to view audit violations (or -d for dmesg audits)
                    • also -r to add a requires statement for module construction
                  • restorecon -Rv to recursively apply file contexts from policy (or -FRv to also apply user context)
                  • rm -f /var/log/audit/audit.log.*; >/var/log/audit/audit.log to clear audit logs
                    • note: sometimes lots of logfiles (audit.log.1, etc.) collect, slowing down audit2allow
                  • chown -R user:user PATH; chcon -R -u user_u PATH to recursively change labels to user
                    • could be generalized for arbitrary Linux/SELinux users
                  • semanage fcontext -a -t TYPE PATH -s $SEUSER to add a custom file context to the policy
                    • e.g. semanage fcontext -a -t "user_secrets_t" "/home/[^/]+/.secrets(/.*)?" -s user_u
                    • I’ve had better luck with this approach than the standard method of creating a .fc file, but in any case a custom policy is needed to create custom types
                  • semanage fcontext -d PATH to remove a custom file context
                  • semanage fcontext -lC to list custom file contexts
                  • semodule -DB to rebuild policy with all dontaudit rules disabled
                    • often, something will not work, but audit2allow doesn’t show anything
                  • semodule -B to rebuild policy (with dontaudit rules)
                  • semodule -i MODULE.pp to install a module
                  • semodule -r MODULE to remove a module

Also a few scripts for policy creation and management are essential. There are two basic approaches to policy creation: modules and policy modules.

Modules: can be used to modify AVC rules and are pretty simple

# a violation has occurred that you want to allow or dontaudit
                  echo "module my_allow 1.0;" > my_allow.te
                  audit2allow -ar >> my_allow.te

# verify that my_allow.te has what you expect
                  cat my_allow.te

# build and install the module (replace mcs with whatever policy you are using)
                  make -f /usr/share/selinux/mcs/include/Makefile my_allow.pp
                  semodule -i my_allow.pp

# clear audit logs
                  rm -f /var/log/audit/audit.log.*; >/var/log/audit/audit.log

Policy modules: can do anything, but are complicated, and the tools for creating them are mostly based on Red Hat.

Creating a new type:

# generate foo.fc, foo.if, and foo.te
                  sepolicy generate --newtype -t foo_var_lib_t -n foo

# note: see sepolicy-generate(8); sepolicy generate only supports the following
                  #       type suffixes, but its output files can be adapted to your use case
                  # _tmp_t
                  # _unit_file_t
                  # _var_cache_t
                  # _var_lib_t
                  # _var_log_t
                  # _var_run_t
                  # _var_spool_t
                  # _port_t

# modify the .fc file with the desired file contexts, for example (with s0 for mcs)
                  # /path/to/context/target	--	gen_context(system_u:object_r:type_t,s0)
                  #
                  # note: the "--" matches regular files, -d for directories, -c for character
                  #       devices, -l for symbolic links, -b for block devices, or can be omitted
                  #       to match anything. also, as mentioned before, I often have better luck
                  #       with `semanage fcontext`, especially for user directories
                  vi foo.fc

# build and install the policy module
                  make -f /usr/share/selinux/mcs/include/Makefile foo.pp
                  semodule -i foo.pp

# use restorecon to adjust the file contexts of any paths you have 

# by default, all operations involving this type will be denied
                  # (and are sometimes not audited)
                  semodule -DB # --disable_dontaudit
                  # ... use the type, collect violations ...
                  audit2allow -ar >> foo.te
                  # if dontaudit is disabled, you'll likely have a lot things to remove from here
                  vi foo.te

# ... repeat until rules regarding type are fully defined

Creating a new application type:

# sepolicy-generate is made for Red Hat,
                  # but you can use --application to get started

# creates a bunch of files that define bar_t and bar_exec_t
                  sepolicy generate --application -n bar [-u USER] CMD

# remove the line making the app permissive (up to you, but
                  # I prefer using audit violations to define the permissions)
                  perl -i -00 -pe 's/^permissive bar_t;\n\n//g' bar.te

# ensure that the file bar_exec_t file context points to the right bin:
                  vi bar.fc

# build and install the policy module
                  make -f /usr/share/selinux/mcs/include/Makefile bar.pp
                  semodule -i bar.pp

# ... use the application, update AVC rules, repeat ...

If your target application is interpreted, you’ll need to write a custom C program that launches the interpreter in a specific context, then write your policy around that application. For example, you should execv something like this: /usr/bin/runcon -u user_u -t my_script_t /bin/bash PROG.

• ruination
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    9 months ago

Thanks! I’ll be copypasting all of these to my notes haha