Taiwan is not for sale, and neither is it part of China, said Taiwan’s Foreign Affairs Ministry, in a rebuke to Elon Musk.

• SkaveRat
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

downvoting soley because of using “slam” in the headline. That shit needs to stop

• stopthatgirl7@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Guess what, I can’t do anything about that. That’s literally the article’s headline. Feel free to go to the article itself and comment against “slams” there, where it might actually do something.

• SkaveRat
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

oh, I believe you. not intended to be directed at you specifically.

Not using news sites that use these headlines might be an alternative

• stopthatgirl7@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

This was the only site that specifically mentioned the “Not for sale” part in the headline. And NBC is a pretty big news source, so I’m not going to ignore it just because some folks get a bug up their butts over an overused word.

And I’ve had people yell at me on here for using “clickbait” headlines and tell me to change the headlines to be less “clickbaity” when they didn’t even read the article in the first place and changing titles to not match the headline is against a lot of news comm/magazine rules.

• SkaveRat
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

again, nothing against you posting it. And the fact that it’s a big site doesn’t matter one bit. It’s still a shit headline

• can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s a holdover from when physical headline space was still limited. There’s a whole chart showing the headline words and more natural equivalents.

• Blake [he/him]@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Words like “slam” drive engagement. Journalists have to pay their bills, and journalistic institutions can only really get money from advertisement or from wealthy patrons who bankroll them as a way of spreading their ideology. For both, engagement and clicks are absolutely vital - advertisers need traffic so people see and click their adverts, ideologues need traffic so people see and internalise their ideology.

If you don’t like clickbait headlines, get involved with anti-capitalist direct action!