• dragonflyteaparty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Edit: Also for the record, it’s not “whataboutism” because a religious book was part of the display with the symbol for neuro divergence. Just fyi.

“The display also included the books Emma & Mommy Talk to God, The Color Purple, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Separate is Never Equal, Wonder, and To Kill a Mockingbird.”

No, it’s not. It’s an example for you to understand. Religion, particular Christianity, is everywhere in some parts of the US. Most people probably don’t even notice. To others, a rainbow is the same way. It’s a pretty decoration just like a cross or the signs up in my kid’s school, In God We Trust. No one would say a cross is political, but it is absolutely in support of, and in certain locations, normalizing that religion should exist here. And there are absolutely people who advocate unless you are one particular religion or subset of that religion you are not a “real” American.

It makes sense to equate showing Christian paraphernalia with showing support for LGBTQ, or in this case neuro divergent people, because of how two sides see them. I’m not Christian. I don’t want my children raised Christian or in any particular religion for that matter. But they are being exposed to multiple aspects of religion every day in school. Is that not indoctrination, however subtle? Those who argue against the pride flag being shown in public insist that the publicity of the flag indoctrinates children.

Now which is actually correct? Does a flag celebrating differences make it more likely that children will be non-heteronormative or neuro divergent? Or does it make it more likely that the children will feel accepted and not hide who they are? Does exposing children to multiple parts of religious practices make it more likely that those children will believe that said religion is true and more likely to hide if they don’t believe it because everyone around them seems to?

In your view are pride flags political? If so, why? Who made them about politics?

• dragonflyteaparty@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Or because if you argue one thing is indoctrination and shouldn’t be allowed, then the other thing that is indoctrination shouldn’t be allowed either.

• mrnotoriousman@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Are you saying being LGBTQ+ is a result of indoctrination? Because you certainly have been indoctrinated on hate and lies if that’s the case.

• collegefurtrader
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Because pick a different political symbol that you dont agree with and reevaluate the situation

• Daefsdeda@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Lets say they had idk, a trump flag, it would be way more fine. Even though a trump flag is still a thing that stands for division and a pride flag stands for something nice and non political. Yeah I think letting people love who they want as a non political issue, sue me.

• the post of tom joad@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Someone didn’t read the article. I’m just gonna go full bore at the get go. Be very careful how you use your frozen peaches son, cuz you’re actually posting in a .de instance with rules against promoting nazism.

Which you aren’t doing yet, of course. And you won’t. Will you.